Thursday, January 10, 2013



The Franklin Family 2012








Emmry - 2012 was a rocky start for me. I was born November 2, 2011 and was gratefully welcomed into my new family. Soon after I joined my family, my daddy left for Korea. About this same time I became very sick.  My mom spent many sleepless nights and countless hours trying to help me get better.  In March, I ended up at Primary Children’s hospital for almost a week after losing 20% of my body weight at only 4 months old.  It was a very hard time for me.  I wasn’t sure if I was going to stay with my earthly family or go back to my Heavenly Father and Mother.  But after all of the priesthood blessings, the countless heartfelt prayers from my family, friends, and people that hadn’t ever even met me, and because of the hard work and determination from my mom, I decided to stay here with my earthly family for a little longer.  With the help of a lot of doctors and the intense research of my mother, we discovered that I have some extreme food allergies and sensitivities-even more so than my older sister.

Finally about June my health began to improve.  I started rolling over, scooting, talking, playing with my sister and dog, and doing everything else a little boy does.  Some of my favorite things to do included talking with my daddy on Skype and looking at my daddy’s pictures.  Then on November 15, 2012 my daddy came home and I play with him as much as I can.  I also LOVE to eat!  I eat as much as I possibly can whenever I can get it.  I turned 1 on November 2, 2012.  I am still little, but I am as smart as can be.  I mimic everything my sister and parents do and I talk all the time.  I am still trying to figure out the walking thing, but I can army (air force) crawl faster than most people can run.  I crawl “normal” when I feel like it, but the army crawl works so much better.  Plus, I’m trying to be just like my daddy in every way I can!

Sammantha- 2012 was a special year for me.  I got to spend a lot of time with my mom.  My dad went to “Koreera” for work and I was only able to talk to him on the “compooter”.   He would call me almost every day and we would play peek-a-boo a lot.  I sure missed him.  But while he was gone I was a big helper to my mom and I am trying to continue to do that still.  I love to help her fold laundry and cook dinner.  I also pick up all of my toys and I feed our dog Bear.  I am extremely independent, pretty much an exact duplicate of my mom.  However, I am a much better dancer than she is.  I love to dance like a ballerina.  I also love to dress up in dresses, jewelry, pretty shoes, and anything else that is pink, frilly, or girly.  I didn’t get this from my mom.  My fashion sense comes from my Aunt Lauryn.  I am a social butterfly and I love to play with friends.  I talk to everyone that I see and tell them about anything that happens to pop into my head at that moment.
We just moved to “South Carowina” and I am making lots of new friends.  But my favorite person to play with is still my daddy.  I am so glad that he is home and every morning when I wake up, I ask my mom where he is to make sure he is coming home after work and that he didn’t go back to “Koreera”.  On December 11 I turned 3.  I got to celebrate my birthday in a hotel because we were moving.  I loved it! Even though we are moved into a house, I still ask to go back to the hotel.  I am learning a lot every day and my already large vocabulary just continues to grow.  I make my parents laugh every day with the crazy things that come out of my mouth.  I just love my life!

Camarron- 2012 was a stretching year for me.  I left for a yearlong tour of duty in South Korea on November 26, 2011.  I spent my birthday (November 27th) on an airplane flying to the other side of the world.  (I actually left on the 26th and arrived in Korea on the 28th. Because of the time change my birthday technically didn’t even exist last year.)  I spent the Christmas and New Year holidays all by myself.  It was quite lonely.  After being in Korea a couple months we discovered that this tour wasn’t going to be anything like what we were expecting. (Thank you military!) It proved to be much more challenging than we ever thought.  However, I took the mountain head on and climbed up it the best I knew how. 
Despite the challenges of being away from my family, working  10-12 hour shifts on average, going through many military training exercises, and constantly worrying about my gravely sick child back at home, I managed to finish my CCAF degree, pass my Staff Sargent test in the top 95%, and was awarded Armament Systems Technician of the Quarter at Kunsan AB.  I was able to come home two weeks early and surprised my entire family.  They had no idea I was coming and it was the best moment of my entire life.  We have since moved to our new duty station at Shaw AFB, South Carolina.  I am currently working on getting separated from Active Duty Air Force and transferred into the Air National Guard in Alaska.  There I will continue to pursue my goal of becoming a military pilot. 
My yearlong tour in Korea was a challenge.  It stretched me in every way possible.  But if hard things don’t kill us, they will definitely make us stronger.  I gained a greater understanding of what it means to be an eternal family.  I missed my children terribly and recognized how much I love being a dad.  I can’t describe with words how hard it was being separated from my wife, but I learned how much I rely and depend on her and also how much she does for our children.  I am so grateful to be back with my family and it was a wonderful blessing to get to spend the Christmas and New Year holidays all together again.

Aleesha- 2012 proved to be the most challenging year of my life.  We knew that Camarron was going to be gone and I tried to prepare myself for it.  I thought him leaving was going to be the hardest part, but it actually ended up being one of the easiest.  Soon after Cam left, our little Emmry became extremely ill.  I tried for months to figure out what was going on and went to see multiple doctors.  Every visit though was counterproductive because they all told me the same thing which was that they had no idea and I again left with a new prescription that I didn’t dare use since it was just a guessing game.  After ending up in the hospital and being blessed with some great doctors, we discovered that Emmry has some really severe food issues.  For several weeks Emmry’s life hung by a thread.  The military kept wavering back and forth on whether or not to let Camarron come home.  It was the biggest and longest emotional rollercoaster ride I have ever been on (or ever hope to be).
            Then a miracle happened and a dear friend pulled some strings and got us in to see a naturopath practitioner who was able to give me some answers to why my son had been so sick and how to help him get better.  She helped me discover the rest of the foods that were reacting so terribly to his little body.  Because of Sammantha’s food allergies we had already changed our diet a lot and had eliminated dairy, corn, soy, citrus, and processed sugar.  But after Emmry’s health started to turn around we realized we had to eliminate wheat/gluten, peanuts, eggs, food additives and dyes (all of them), and many oils on top of our already restricted diet.  So I spent much of 2012 learning how to cook again.  During all of this chaos I was able to complete my FootZonology Instructor certification and I taught and graduated my first class of students at the beginning of December (which included my mother).  It was wonderful!

The best moment of 2012 was on November 15 at about 6pm.  I had spent the entire day getting my children and myself ready for pictures.  A dear friend of mine was going to take some family pictures for us.  We had a framed picture of Camarron so he could be in the pictures too.  We were all dressed up and went to the Bountiful, Utah LDS temple grounds to take them.  My friend posed us in front of the entry way of the temple and had me holding both of my beautiful children.  She stepped back and said “On the count of three smile…one…two…” and then my husband walked out of the temple entry way in his uniform and surprised us all.  I collapsed in tears, Sammantha ran as fast as she could into his arms, and Emmry sat reaching for him until he came over and picked him up.  Thanks to my amazing friend, we have beautiful perfect pictures of the entire thing. (Look up this link to see all of the pics she took. Awesome! http://katiannphotography.blogspot.com click on My Work, then Kids/Family, then scroll down until you see Welcome Home Cam)

So once again we are all back together.  We are also all healthy and couldn’t be more happy.  We are currently living in South Carolina, near Shaw Air Force Base and soon we are anticipating another long move up to Homer, Alaska once Camarron gets accepted into the Air National Guard.  As difficult as 2012 was for us, it was also a wonderful growing experience.  We learned how to better utilize the Atonement in our lives.  We learned to have faith in ourselves, in each other, and most of all in our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  We learned that Heavenly Father really does answer prayers, even when it seems like there is nobody there to listen.  We learned that serving others can fill up a void that was left wanting in our hearts.  We learned that we are much stronger than we ever thought possible And we learned that God places amazing people in our lives at just the right moments to help us through some of our most difficult trials.  So thank you to all of you who helped us learn and grow and make it through our 2012! May you and your loved ones be blessed in 2013!

Love,
Camarron, Aleesha, Sammantha, and Emmry

 

No comments:

Post a Comment